Wednesday 28 March 2012

Ottawa Woman's Hockey Testing


I have just gotten back from Ottawa where I was asked to help test the potential members for Canada’s National women’s hockey team for 2012. I found it a great experience where I honed my skills with anthropometrics (the science of measuring body parts). I was mainly in charge of running the Bod POD which is the golden standard for muscle mass and body fat composition. We took a BOD POD up in the back of the Canadian Sport Center Van and tested all the athletes in the Westin hotel by Ottawa University. On day one, we tested about 8 of the team members including the famous Hailey Wickenheiser and Cherie Piper. We had Chris Dalcin doing the body measurements, me on the BOD POD and an athletic therapist from Ottawa recording the measurements. We flew through the measurements very quickly and got a good night sleep because we had to be up at 9 am the next morning for more testing. The next day we ran through the rest of the girls and I taught Bridgette, the physiotherapist how to use Bod Pod. Unfortunately the computers which we were recording the data were a little mess up and the last 5 or 6 girls were rushed through and I was forced to record data, run Bod Pod and take height and weight all at the same time. I got good at it quickly and before I knew it the last girl was done and we were packing up.  We ended up having lots of people questioning us about the BOD POD because it was something no one had ever seen before. Even some members of a famous band that was in town were asking us questions as we tried to load the BOD POD into the Van on our way out. Over all it was a great way to test my knowledge and increase my experience. I have been asked by Hockey Canada to come and do some testing next month in Quebec as well which I am looking forward to. 

No comments:

Post a Comment