Saturday 11 August 2012

Training Update

For the last few months that I have not been updating my blog I have been working full time summer camp at Halton Hills Gymnastics. I have been doing many private lessons as well for cheerleaders and trampolinists. Many people come up to me because in Halton Hills I am one of the few coaches that have high level practical experience in gymnastics and trampoline. I have started scouting for new trampoline athletes to put into the competitive stream. Currently we are up to about 12-14 athletes all ranging from 9-17 years of age. There is hope for a new trampoline to be put into Halton Hills so that we have our first 7x14 foot olympic sized trampoline. The goal is to increase the already dug in 6x12 foot hole and then put the olympic sized trampoline in and take the smaller trampoline out and use it as a recreational trampoline or for Interclub athletes. 

I have been training as much as I can for a full time worker who only has one option of training everyday. I am currently looking for a new place to train that is closer to home where I can get more hours because Skyriders is simply to far for someone who has to work 50 hours a week, keep the competitive program running, keep my school notes up to date, train for Portugal in September, keep my networking skills up to par and try to have a social life of some sort. 

As for my training I have been literally "snapping". I comfortably competed optionals that ranged from 18.5-18.8 seconds in the previous year. I have worked on some techniques that have increased my time of flight to 19.72+. The techniques are based out of other countries, not Canada, and I would go into great detail but unfortunately I can not spill everyone of the ideas that are in my head. I would like to keep a small competative advantage. The day i quit competing or go to the olympics I will write an entire book of all the little tricks I have learned from coaches around the world. One thing I can say is, NEVER PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET IN TERMS OF WHO COACHES YOU. Everyone has something to offer no matter who they are. Keep an open mind and be willing to try anything. I learned something from some visitors from skyriders a few days ago and the change is unbelievable and according to everyone in Canada this technique should never be done. Just goes to show that no matter how intelligent someone is they can always be wrong. 

I have been focusing mainly on height and have been doing drills where the minimum time of flight per skill has to be 2 seconds. The next phase will be cleaning up the form but that is a long ways away. Once I can do a 20 second optional 3/4 times then I will start to focus on the form which will inevitably reduce my time of flight slightly at first until I get the hang of it. 

I have gotten my fall schedule laid out for school but not training or work quite yet. I will be writing more when I go back to school because I will have more free time to write about things I learn in school. I am trying to figure out how to put my notes up on this website but it does not seem to happen very easily. 

Just thought I would give a small update on the comings and goes of my summer for those who are interested. If there are is anything you would like me to write about please let me know. As you know I have twitter now and I check that all the time. fell free to message me:)

Thanks:)

No comments:

Post a Comment